We are looking for a Business Operations Manager to join the OASPA staff team!
OASPA is a not-for-profit membership organisation comprising a diverse community of organisations engaged in open scholarship. OASPA’s work to run mission-supporting activities is led by a small but dedicated and enthusiastic staff team, overseen by a Board of Directors. We’re looking for someone who works well independently and will enjoy contributing to the growth of this small, mission-driven organisation.
The OASPA Business Operations Manager will be responsible for working with the Executive Director to ensure that OASPA is run effectively and soundly, in accordance with the financial and legal requirements for operation in the UK and Netherlands.
- Monitor cash flow
- Ensure full compliance with UK and Dutch tax requirements as well as pertinent banking regulations
- Work with the accountant to establish key performance indicators and cost metrics to ensure the production of timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Ensure that finances and reporting for programs and projects are established and monitored in accordance with (as applicable) their associated statement of work, terms and conditions, and budget
- Oversee the smooth, routine invoicing of members and partners
- Periodic budget review and forecasting for the Executive Director and Board
- Long term financial planning with the Executive Director and Treasurer for annual budget setting, deployment of resources and maintenance of financial reserves
- Make sure OASPA’s financial processes are in line with best practice at all times, liaising with appropriate professional contacts as needed for support
- Managing legal aspects of board governance
- Maintenance of OASPA’s By Laws and registrations and removals of OASPA Board Members (Directors)
- Oversight of board election and appointment process
- Monitor and respond to Dutch legal developments
- Work with external legal support to ensure all aspects of OASPA organisation are in line with Dutch and UK law; and provide support for contract review and execution
- Excellent communication skills. Comfortable presenting data and determining the best format for delivery.
- Excellent organisational and project-management skills
- Resilient and adaptable to the changing needs and pressures of the organisation
- Independently motivated, willing and able to independently identify and assume responsibility for initiatives within the scope of this role
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Proven initiative to locate external support partners to guide on business critical areas
- Skilled at prioritising and managing multiple external service providers
- Adept at quickly building strong professional relationships
- Fluent in English and Dutch
- Previous experience of financial management at an organisational level
- Experience in a business management or operations oversight role
- Experience of Dutch Stichtingen, and associated legal and fiscal requirements
- Experience of working remotely or for a virtual organisation
- Experience of working for a non-profit organisation
- Experience of the academic publishing industry
- The position will start part time at 2 days per week (the scope of work and the need to increase the working hours will be reviewed regularly)
- Salary is 2 days pro rata at £50,000 p.a. (or equivalent in other currencies)
- Please note this is a remote working position. We are only set up to employ staff by contract in the UK however applications on a self-employed basis are welcome from anywhere in the world. In such cases, the time difference relative to the UK will be a key consideration.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter to Claire Redhead, OASPA Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Equal Employment Opportunity: OASPA is a founding member of C4DISC and an adopting organisation of the Joint Statement of Principles. All applications are considered with these principles as a basis and on which our organisation and the way we operate is grounded.
Closing date for applications: Friday 5th May, 2023